Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Night Social

Wow, what a great time tonight! We had a good turn out and I don't know about you but I came home high onthe energy.
Thanks to Joyce's questions, Rita's comments, and the fresh new energy of Jean, we talked about what direction we'd like for our group. I shared my daydreams and everyone was on the same track I think. Correct me if I am wrong but I think everyone loved the following suggestions:
*"playdates" where we bring work to work on together
*workshops with guest artists
*project nights/days where we all work on the same project maybe even from a book.
*discussions
*lectures on subjects- techniques, guest artists' and their work, making a living at this, selling your work online
*events where a kit is given out/purchased by members we all make something from the contents
which can then be auctioned, or just show and tell
*field trips-maybe to Harbor Freight's big tent sale on I-95?

My big crazy daydream?
a huge active metals club that is the heart and soul of a facility which houses a main teaching studio, private rental studios, a small gallery, and (drum roll please) TOOL/SUPPLY SHOP! The facility would hire national visiting artists to come teach workshops. We'll have classes in jewelry, blacksmithing, welding, lampworking, PMC the whole 9 yards!!!!I don't know about you, but I am tired of having to drive to timbuktu to do cool stuff involving metal! Lets do it right here in our back yards!
These places exist!
http://www.metalwerx....
http://thecrucible.or...
Now whether or not Wilmington could support one who knows... but (to quote myself) if you open a door and let in Possibility she brings some of her friends- Opportunity, Abundance, Contentment.

No comments: